The 2016 Competition is now Closed.
The Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story is pleased to announce that submissions are being accepted until April 1, 2016 for the 12th Annual Literary Short Story Competition for Emerging Writers.
The Short Story competition is an opportunity for writers to explore the short story, a literary art form made popular by 2013 Nobel laureate Alice Munro.
$1,500 PRIZE Adults / $500 PRIZE Youth
NEW – THE ARTS AND LETTERS CLUB OF TORONTO FOUNDATION YOUTH AWARD
We are happy to announce a special category for 2016 with a $500.00 PRIZE for an emerging author in his or her twenties, from the Greater Toronto Area.
Sponsored by The Arts and Letters Club of Toronto Foundation.
All other rules and regulations apply.
The Foundation is a registered charity established in 2014 and its stated purpose is to advance education by providing scholarships and bursaries to Canadian youth pursuing a post-secondary education and to provide awards for demonstrated excellence in the arts to youth under 30 years of age from the Greater Toronto Area. For more information about the Foundation, please contact us at www.artsandlettersfoundation.ca
Please indicate in your cover letter if you also wish to be considered for this additional award. (Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is the central city of Toronto and the four surrounding regional municipalities and they are Durham, Halton, Peel and York.)
Contest Deadline APRIL 1, 2016 (Now Closed)
The winning entry will be the Canadian work of up to 2,500 words in the English language, fiction, written by an author not yet published in book format. Winners will be announced at the Jubilee Gala on June 5, 2016 with simultaneous social and print media release.
$25 per entry for Adults; $10 per entry for Youth paid through Submittable. If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment please contact the Alice Munro Festival office at 519-357-1096
DEADLINE: April 1th 2016 (Now Closed)
A regional judging panel will select the top 10 stories within each category. A celebrity judge will choose the winners.
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants /refugees and those living in Canada
- All writers who have not been published in book format, including online publications, in any genre and who do not have a contract with a book publisher
- Adult writers are age 19 years and older; Youth are up to 19 years of age on or before April 1, 2016 or as otherwise stated in within the individual award categories.
- Short fiction prose; up to and including 2,500 words (title excluded), English language
- Not previously published in any format
- Must be writers’ original works
- Multiple submissions welcome – (only one entry per writer is eligible for award)
- Shortlisted winners will be notified prior to the Jubilee Gala on June 4, 2016
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES
- Click on the button below to fill out the application form and upload your entry.
- Submissions will be accepted online only.
- Payment will be made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard) via Submittable.
- If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment please contact the Alice Munro Festival office at 519-357-1096
- Entries must be received electronically by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on April 1, 2016 to be eligible.
The Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story is an annual three-day festival that features workshops, readings, onstage presentations, and community events that celebrate emerging writers and short fiction.
The Festival takes place where Alice Munro grew up, in Huron County, Ontario, Canada from June 2-5, 2016. For more information about the Festival visit us at www.alicemunrofestival.ca and find us on Facebook.
Adult Category Prize: $1500 / Youth Category Prize: $500
Arts & Letters Club Special Prize for Toronto-based writer $500
Competition Deadline: April 1, 2016 (NOW CLOSED!)