The 2018 Competition is Open Now!
The Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story is pleased to announce that 14th Annual Literary Short Story Competition for Emerging Writers is now open. The Short Story competition is an opportunity for writers to explore the short story, a literary art form made popular by 2013 Nobel Laureate Alice Munro.
Adults: $1,500 PRIZE with two additional $250 prizes.
Youth: $500 PRIZE with two additional $250 prizes
Contest Deadline March 31, 2018 – 11:59pm PST
The winning entry will be the Canadian work of up to 2,500 words in the English language, fiction, written by an author not yet published in book format. Winners will be announced at the 2018 Festival with simultaneous social and print media release.
$25 per entry for Adults;
$10 per entry for Youth
Pay through Submittable.
If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment please contact the Alice Munro Festival office at 519-357-3550 x. 131
DEADLINE: March 31st, 2018
A regional judging panel will select the top 10 stories within each category. A celebrity judge will choose the winners.
- Canadian citizens or landed immigrants /refugees and those living in Canada
- All writers who have not been professionally published in book format, including online publications, in any genre and who do not have a contract with a book publisher
- Adult writers are age 19 years and older; Youth are up to 19 years of age on or before April 1, 2018 or as otherwise stated in within the individual award categories.
- Previous winners are ineligible to win again in the same category.
- Short fiction prose; up to and including 2,500 words (title excluded), English language
- Not previously published in any format
- Must be writers’ original works
- Multiple submissions welcome – (only one entry per writer is eligible for award)
- Shortlisted winners will be notified prior to the Festival in June 2018.
HOW TO SUBMIT ENTRIES
- Click on the button below to fill out the application form and upload your entry.
- Submissions will be accepted online only.
- Payment will be made by credit card (Visa, MasterCard) via Submittable.
- If it is not possible for the entrant to make an on-line payment please contact the Alice Munro Festival office at 519-357-3550 x 131
- Entries must be received electronically by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on March 31, 2018 to be eligible.
The Alice Munro Festival of the Short Story is an annual three-day festival that features workshops, readings, onstage presentations, and community events that celebrate emerging writers and short fiction.
The Festival takes place where Alice Munro grew up, in Huron County, Ontario, Canada from June 1 – 3, 2018.
Adult Category Prize: $1500 + 2 additional prizes of $250 each
Youth Category Prize: $500 + 2 additional prizes of $250 each
Competition Deadline: March 31, 2018